Monday, May 31, 2010

Cabbage Worms

Well, when I got home today and checked on my garden, I noticed small holes in my Broccoli and Cauliflower leaves. It didn't take a lot of research to get a guess what the cause is. I checked and found several small green caterpillars and discovered they are in fact cabbage worms.

Now, how to get rid of them organically. The two most consistent ideas I've seen are: 1) Pick the worms off by hand(Done). 2) A product based on BT(Bacillus Thuringiensis). I'm gonna run out tomorrow and see if I can find some at one of the local big box stores, or the local garden center. Plan B is I will order from Amazon, here are a few they offer.
Safer 5160 Caterpillar Killer with BT - 8-Ounce Concentrate  Bonide 803 Liquid Thuricide  Bonide Dipel Dust - 1 Lb.

Update: I didn't find any of the above locally, at least not yet. I did find some Safer Brand 5162 Caterpillar Killer with B.T. Garden Dust 8 Ounces at the local Menards. I'll let you know how it works.
Safer Brand 5162 Caterpillar Killer with B.T. Garden Dust 8 Ounces




6/15 update: The Garden Dust works great. No more worms. A few days after I applied the dust I saw several of those white moths come around and lay more eggs. As a precaution I applied more garden dust. As of today my cauliflower looks much better and I have no issues at all with holes in my leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment