Thursday, May 27, 2010

K Cups Coffee Makers

I've owned two of these things. I spent a ton of time researching them, and kept reading how great the coffee is. After actually using them I do have to admit, the coffee is awesome. When using the Amazon Subscribe And Save Program, you can get the coffee for about 40 cents per cup. Not real cheap, but also a lot better than buying coffee at Starbucks or another restaurant.

Now for the bad, the first one I bought, a Breville BKC600XL, kept making partial cups of coffee, or overflowing water. On the plus side, the company was very responsive and sent me a replacement, unfortunately, the replacement worked the same as the original. I finally figured out that it only seemed to happen with Decaf K-cups, or Tea K-cups. So the trick was to reprime the water each time we made Decaf, kind of a pain, but  it worked.

Here is the BKC600XL

Breville BKC600XL Gourmet Single-Cup Coffee Brewer

I got a chance to get a Keurig B70 for a big discount, so I decided to see if it worked better. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't nearly as loud when it ran, so that was a big plus. Unfortunately, that one also seems to have trouble with Decaf pods, I don't know why, but it shuts itself off every time we make Decaf, again if I reprime the tank each time it works ok, and the coffee definitely tastes great, just kind of a pain.

Here is the one I have now.

Keurig B70 Platinum Single-Cup Home Brewing System
If I was going to buy a single serve system again, I think I would go with the cheaper and simpler solution, something like the Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker. I use the word simpler, I guess I really mean a more low tech solution, I'm sure that there are some things I need to know about this one as well. If anyone has tried one of these I'd love to hear about it.

AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker



No comments:

Post a Comment